Friday, February 20, 2009

Snow White

The absolute stillness. Not a heavy kind of stillness, but a peaceful solitude. The silence was clearly resonant, even above the lulling sound of the gravelly rumble beneath me, which exhaled out in a billow of crystalline powder behind me, swirling in the air. I took a deep, relaxed breath, let the cold bite through the whole way, and let it out gently, cloudlike vapour escaping my mouth and trailing behind to join with the dancing, rolling snow mist. It was a casual stroll, but I knew where I was headed. I took one look at the immensity of the clear yet faded blue sky, feeling its enveloping pull towards it. And suddenly I was off, the rumbling climaxing to a high pitched rasp, then abruptly cut off. I felt suspended, immobile in this rushing speed, with the silent air, and the wind howling in my ears. For that one moment, the infinite, impossible expanse of blue felt closer. In that moment, I lived. I grasped the last strands of that infinitesimal point of certainty as they wisped away, at the same time pulling my escaping thoughts back to the moment. I saw the whiteness zipping forth and past. And up to my face.

2 comments:

~ Faith said...

I've always wanted to snowboard, but sadly, I'm too much of a pansy. Wish I lived near the mountains... *sigh*

~F

Arashi said...

It's something you should try, if only to come back all bruised and battered after your first day to proudly proclaim you've tried it ;)